Theology Books to Explore:
- The Powers That Be: Theology for a New Millennium, Walter Wink
- The Heart of Christianity: How we can be Passionate Belivers Today, Marcus Borg
- The God We Never Knew: Beyond Dogmatic Religion to a More Authentic Faith, Borg
- The Church Before Christianity, Wes Howard-Brook
- Unveiling Empire: Reading Revelations Then & Now, Wes Howard-Brook
- The Good Book: Reading the Bible with Heart & Mind, Peter Gomes
- Liberals & Other Born-Again Believers, Sally Geis
- Theological Crossfire: An Evangelical/Liberal Dialogue, Clark Pinnock & Del Brown
- Good Goats: Healing Our Image of God, Dennis Linn, et al.
- God of The Possible: A Biblical Introduction to the Open View of God, Gregory Boyd, Jr.
- Most Moved Mover: A Theology of God’s Openness, Clark Pinnock
- Grace & Responsibility: A Wesleyan Theology for Today, John Cobb
- The Call to Conversion: Recovering the Gospel for These Times, Jim Wallis
- Resident Aliens, Stanley Hauerwas & William Willimon
- Where Resident Aliens Live, Hauerwas & Willimon
- Jesus and Nonviolence: A Third Way, Walter Wink
- Religion and Empire: People, Power, & the Life of the Spirit, Richard Horsley
- The Peaceable Kingdom: Primer to Christian Ethics, Stanley Hauerwas
- The Politics of Jesus, John Howard Yoder
- Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger: Moving From Affluence to Generosity, Ron Sider
- The Soul of Politics: Beyond Liberal and Conservative, Jim Wallis
- Becoming Children of God: John’s Gospel and Radical Discipleship, Wes Howard-Brook
- Good News to the Poor: John Wesley’s Evangelical Economics, Theodore Jennings, Jr.
- Stages of Faith: The Psychology of Human Development and the Quest for Meaning, James Fowler
Devotional & Spiritual Aides:
- The Upper Room Daily Devotional
- Beyond Guilt: Christian Response to Suffering, George Johnson
- For They Shall Be Fed: Scripture and Prayers for a Just World, Ron Sider
- Listening to Your Life: Daily Meditations with Frederick Buechner
- In God’s Presence: Theological Reflections on Prayer, Marjorie Hewitt Suchocki
- With Open Hands: Henri Nouwen – a classic!
- Prayer: Finding the Heart’s True Home, Richard Foster
- Praying for Friends and Enemies: Intercessory Prayer, Jane Vennard
- Sojourners – a prophetic evangelical monthly www.sojo.net (Jim Wallis is the senior editor and leader of this community in D.C.)
- PRISM – an evangelical social justice magazine (connected to Ron Sider) (see also: the Prism E-pistle of Evangelicals for Social Action www.esa-online.org )
- The Christian Century www.christiancentury.org
- The New Zion’s Herald (a progressive U.M. mag.) www.zionsherald.org
Favorite Associations & Organizations
- Rocky Mountain Conference Peace & Justice Committee PeacewithJustice@rmcumc.org
- Iliff School of Theology Justice & Peace Studies:, email: GValeta@Iliff.edu, 303.765.3191 – they have a cool newsletter!
- MFSA: Methodist Federation For Social Action www.mfsa.org
- Interfaith Alliance – www.interfaithallianceco.org
- Pax Christi (a Catholic Peace & Justice group) www.paxchristiusa.org
- FOR: Fellowship Of Reconciliation (ecumenical & interfaith) – www.for.usa.org
- General Board of Church and Society www.umc-gbcs.org
- United Methodist U-MPower Action & Advocacy http://capwiz.com/gbcs/home/
- Every Church a Peace Church www.ecapc.org
- Bread for the World www.bread.org
- Hunger relief www.thehungersite.com (click on this one daily!)
Soul Food For Thought
Whatever you do may seem insignificant,
But it is most important that you do it.
Never doubt that a small group of committed individuals can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
— Margaret Meade
One little person, giving all of her time to peace, makes news. Many people, giving some of their time, can make history.
— Peace Pilgrim
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor/Jubilee!
— Isaiah & Jesus
I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
— The Apostle Paul
If you want to follow Jesus, you need to look good – on wood.
— Fr. Daniel Berrigan
We must accept finite disappointment,
but we must never lose infinite hope.
— Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Hope is believing in spite of the evidence, and watching the evidence change.
— Sojourner's Community
It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.
— The Christophers
[God] shall judge between many peoples and shall decide for strong nations far off; and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
Truth (or Peace on Earth): First, it is ridiculed;
second, it is violently opposed;
third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
— Arthur Shopenhauer (adapted)
Be still and know that I am God.